(This column was published in the North Shore News on Oct. 23, 2002)


Crime saga has few interruptions

 By Leo Knight

Way back in 1983, North Vancouver's very own one-man crime wave, Bobby Logan, received his first custodial sentence for breaking and entering.


He got a year in jail. In 1984 he got 18 months for a repeat offence. In '86, a "deuce less" (two years less one day keeping him from the federal correctional system which kicks in at a sentence of two years or more.)


In '88, three months. In '89, the grand total of one day for failing to comply with a court recognizance.


There's a great message isn't it? "Do what the court says or else!" Or else one day in jail?


Back to the Curriculum Vitae of one of North Van's native sons:


In 1989, he finally saw federal time - just. He got two years for possession of property obtained by crime. But he was also branching out.


That same year, our friend got popped for trafficking and got a whopping six months to be served concurrently with the aforementioned two years. That'll teach him.


Late in 1990 he got released on mandatory supervision. Within seven months he was again convicted for - wait for it - break and enter with intent. Wow, what a surprise. Apparently all that rehabilitation from Corrections Canada really worked its magic.


Later that same year he got another five months for another possession of stolen property event. In '93 several more property crime convictions and more federal time, three years in fact, reduced to two on appeal. The courts, apparently, thought he deserved a break.


I should mention here that I'm only talking about Logan's convictions thus far. I haven't said a word about the many arrests where charges weren't laid or where charges were stayed as part of the plea bargain process.


Now, where were we? Oh yes, in 1995 he got released on mandatory supervision again. Six months later, no surprise, he violated his parole and went back to Club Fed for a little more rehabilitation.


In 1996, after finishing his full term, again to no one's surprise, he got arrested by those diligent police officers in North Vancouver for yet another break and enter and this time, he got one year in jail.


After that year, he again graced the cells in North Van detachment. He was convicted of theft under and got a whole day in jail and a year's probation. (Bet that showed him the system meant business!)


A month later, festoons! Another conviction! Little spot of bother with some stolen property again. No worries, he got eight months for that. Oh, and two years probation to go with his other year of probation.


The next few years are much the same, only the sentences are getting smaller. In '98, one for 14 days and another for three months. In '99 it seems he forgot to obey those pesky probation orders and got "time served," which amounted to 40 days.


A month later, another theft conviction and a whopping one day in jail. In 2001, 18 months, which pretty much brings us to his most recent brush with the law.


Logan was released in the early spring of this year. True to form, he got arrested again, this time in Surrey on eight separate offences. He got released pending trial with the stipulation that he be under a curfew from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. You see, Bobby Logan breaks into homes at night while people are asleep.


When the court in Surrey released him to reside in North Vancouver, they didn't bother to advise the local Mounties who would have to pick up after him. In the interim, Vancouver Police Department officers were trying to find our friend too. It seems he allegedly gave a female acquaintance some jewelry and somewhat later he allegedly demanded it back. She refused and he allegedly assaulted her.


Well, boys will be boys. Anyway, the North Van RCMP dutifully arrested him and gave him to Vancouver, where he stands charged with assault with a weapon. The court there released him on the condition that he keep the peace and be of good behaviour. (Yes, I know he was already on bail for those other eight charges in Surrey, but apparently the courts didn't think he posed a danger to reoffend.)


But Logan didn't like his curfew. So he applied to the Surrey court to have it removed. He said he had a job on a fishing boat and needed to go out of town for days at a time.


That's what he said despite never holding a significant job in his life nor ever showing any inkling to change his criminal behaviour. But a judge accepted this and lifted the curfew without verifying Logan's story.


North Van Mounties did check though. The name of the boat and captain were correct, but alas, the skipper never heard of the would-be sailor. So back to court last week to explain that he lied to the court and took advantage of the naive judge.


Held in custody you'd think? Not a chance. But he does have a curfew now. He's apparently grounded from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. For whatever reason though, the courts removed the condition that he report regularly to a bail supervisor. Brilliant! Now he's got the curfew, but no mechanism to ensure he follows it. He has since petitioned for a variance back to 10 p.m. curfew start instead of 7 p.m. Says he wants to take some job training.


Make sure you sleep with one eye open for the next little while. Oh, and do try and get a little more interested in the upcoming elections. Remember, what I've just described is the status quo.


I'm up for a little change. How about you?






Primetimecrime current headlines               Columns 2002